Re: [TenTec] Re: Solid State Amps

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Solid State Amps
From: "Ron Notarius WN3VAW" <wn3vaw@fyi.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 18:49:58 -0500
Let's put things in perspective:

The ban on commercially built & commercially sold amplifiers covering
approximately 20 - 35 MHz (and please let's not bog down in the specific
technicalities) dates back to an era when the FCC was unable to control the
use of amplifiers by a certain large minority of 27 MHz users.  The specific
reasons why they were doing so is not relevant per se, nor is it relevant
whether or not they were licensed or unlicensed CB or "freeband" or whatever
operators.

The ban was put in place in large part because it was not, at the time,
illegal to build, sell, or own such an amplifier for that frequency range,
merely to use it.  And remember that the ban took place at a time when many
legitimate users of that frequency range -- not just amateurs on 10 meters
(no 12 meters then) but fire & other public safety users on the VHF Low band
starting at 30 MHz, and some other commercial and industrial users in that
spectrum -- had legitimate reasons to own and operate said equipment.

The rules as the exist are more than a touch convoluted.  I suspect that
someone who helped write them was trying to say, in legalese instead of
English, that it was OK for amateurs to continue to own (and buy, sell &
trade) and use these types of amplifiers, and that they are permitted to
modify existing amps to extend them to those bands (ie 10 & eventually 12
meters) where we are permitted appropriate power levels.  The limitations
are apparantly designed to prevent someone from going into business to
modify etc. existing amps and so on & so forth.

So... does this mean it is illegal for you, as a licensed amateur, to buy
overseas a 10 meter capable amplifier and bring it into the country with
you, so long as it is for your own use within the limits of your amateur
license?  Not the way I read the rules.  Now if you're bringing in a dozen
or so, that may be a different story...

I would also respectively disagree with the notion that an amplifier that
gives you 500 W out for 4 W input on 10 meters is automatically assumed to
be a "CB" amplifier.   Would it raise some eyebrows?  Sure, but if you have
a QRP rig and you want to go QRO that way... why not?  (Not my cup of tea,
but not everyone likes tea the way I do.)

I would also respectively disagree with the notion that living by Part 97
means you are a "stuck in the mud die hard" amateur.  There's just something
in that notion that I find someone disheartening, and sad, but discoursing
further on that will really be going off on a tangent, and I've done enough
of that for one night.

73, ron wn3vaw

"What's the point in being crazy if you can't have a little fun with it?"
-- Russell Crowe portraying John Nash, "A Beautiful Mind"