[TenTec] K2 vs. IC-706

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] K2 vs. IC-706
From: "Rick Westerman" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 11:22:09 +0100
Paul,

Maybe there is some truth in "different strokes for different
folks"!

It all boils down to application.

I had to choose between a K2 and an IC-706 for one application
and I quickly opted for the 706.

No, I'm not crazy.  It was the best choice for that application
and me.

The application is a rig for my RV.  With the 706, I have the
front panel on a 10 ft. extension.  The base unit is mounted
under the seat.  I can "roam" with the front panel and use the
thing in the driver/passenger seat, back in the living area, or
even outside.  I have the auto-tuner and a long whip on the back
of the RV as well as a 2m/70cm antenna on the roof.  I run all
bands from 80m to 70cm - for all practical purposes, from a front
panel, not even a whole radio :) .  But I just use the rig for
rag chewing or very casual contesting and most of all, SWL'ing.

When I plan a serious contest, I either take my Omni VI+ or my K2
with me in the RV, depending on whether I plan to run QRO or QRP.
I also put up proper antennas (which causes all hell to break
loose on the 706).

Thanks for pointing out to me that I should be careful not to
interpret my opinion as being the best for others.
I apologize for that.

73
Rick