[TenTec] K2 beats Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] K2 beats Orion
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:40:25 -0500
WB8YQJ wrote:
Am I reading this right, K2 may actually have better
BDR than Orion?

        Probably not.  If my reading of the K2 graph was
wrong, the same issue applies to Orion.  Here are the
BDR numbers for 5 kHz and 20 kHz.  I'll hopefully get
the correct 1 kHz numbers from KC1SX when he returns:

Radio   BDR@20kHz       BDR@5kHz        BDR@1kHz
K2              136             126             TBD
Orion   129             130             TBD
FT-1000MP       142             119             TBD

So yes, the K2 is better at 20 kHz, but the FT-1000MP
is best at 142 dB.  For BDR at 5 kHz signal spacings,
Orion is the best at 130 versus 126 for the K2, and I
suspect a similar relationship will exist at 1 kHz.
The basic strength of Orion is that measurements like
BDR, IP3 and IMDDR3 hardly degrade at close spacings.
In fact Orion's BDR IMPROVED 1 dB in the above data (but
that is likely within measurement error) versus the K2
degrading 10 dB and the MP degrading 23 dB.

73, Bill W4ZV