Re: [TenTec] Orion tuning rates - Further thoughts

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion tuning rates - Further thoughts
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 03:22:17 +0000
Carl

The point is that my Orion is different to other radios and that's why I made my test and posted my comment. Maybe I didn't use the best words to convey what I found. My Orion has a steppy/warbly characteristic when I tune through carriers that I consider very unpleasant. I have the radio set for 10 Hz steps and the encoder rate set to Fast. If I set the step size to 1 Hz and the encoder rate to Slow the steppy/warbly characteristic is less noticeable but not entirely eradicated. Of course, even if it disappeared at this setting it would be of little use as tuning rate per revolution falls to 62.5 Hz and at that rate folks QRT before you can tune them in. :-)

I set up an FT1000MP and a TS870 with step size 10 Hz and compared their behaviour. Neither of them exhibited the behaviour encountered in my Orion. I then increased the step size to 20 Hz on the MP and noticed that it continued to feel smooth when tuning through carriers. From this I have concluded that the annoyance I am experiencing with the Orion is not to do with step size but is something else in the behaviour of the synthesiser. I postulate currently that the problem is due to a long settling time in the Orion synthesiser compared to the other radios. The effect I notice on tuning appears to be that if I tune at a rate of several steps per second (30+ at a guess) then audibly the tuning adopts the steppy/warbly characteristic I don't like. It's as if the synth doesn't settle/lock on individual steps as I tune. Once I stop rotating the dial everything sounds fine of course.

The behaviour I see in the Orion synth is not common to all synths, it is peculiar to my Orion. Whether that makes it an Orion design characteristic affecting others or means I have a faulty synth in mine I currently don't know. Either way, it is currently responsible for a huge detraction from the pleasure I am getting from this radio. :-(

73

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F

Carl Moreschi wrote:

The Orion is no different with respect to tuning steps than any other
synthesized radio.  If you tune with a 10 hertz step, you are going to jump
by 10 hertz.  This is normal and all synthesized radios do it.  10 hertz
does not sound at all steppy to me.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC