Re: [TenTec] TT Orion: Also SEMI-BK-IN possible ?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT Orion: Also SEMI-BK-IN possible ?
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:18:54 +0000
Paul Christensen, Esq. wrote:

* *However,
omitting a PTT line in a JA radio is a mistake, but not on a Ten-Tec.

I'm not sure I understand the unemotional logic that would label this a mistake if the manufacturer were Japanese but not if it is Ten Tec. :-\

*
*Many JA radios were not designed for full-time QSK. In fact most, if not all
of them, continue to use a clunky relay for the external amplifier key line.

My experience suggests otherwise. All seven of the Japanese radios I currently own, which represent the efforts of all three mainstream Japanese manufacturers, are capable of full time QSK. None of these radios rely upon a clunky relay for the external amplifier keying line, though it is true that several of them have incorporated such a device, which can be configured where required to ensure compatibility with older amplifiers using high voltage/ high current switching. Ten Tec state that users who wish to use such amplifiers with their products will need to add external circuitry compatible with them.

Back to the Orion: since the Orion is designed for full-time QSK, THE PROPER

PLACE FOR INSERTING THE CONTEST CARD PTT LINE IS ON THE AMP KEY LINE BETWEEN

THE ORION AND THE AMPLIFIER. The card's CW key line connects to the Orion's
key line...just as it would on a JA radio.   On the Orion, there is
absolutely no need to force the radio to force the amplifier into holding
the PTT line when the contest card's isolated PTT output accomplishes the
same function when paralleled across the amp PTT key line.

As I pointed out earlier, this particular functionality is not something I need, as my amplifiers are full QSK units with non mechanical switching. Perhaps your proposed approach will be workable for Yuri and others who have identified the problem. I will leave it to them to comment.

The bottom line is: Ten-Tec got it right on this issue.

I think who is right, remains rather a moot point, myself.

I am looking at this purely
from a logical and unemotional point of view.

If you say so, Paul.

73

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F