Re: More Re: [TenTec] Orion redefines the meaning of ... AGC OFF

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: More Re: [TenTec] Orion redefines the meaning of ... AGC OFF
From: "Carl Moreschi" <n4py@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 13:28:31 -0000
I'm tired of hearing comparisons between the K2 and the Orion.  The two
radios are as different as night and day.  The K2 only has one receiver, NO
passband tuning, much less filter choices, and a very awkward user interface
that many times has you hitting the wrong button to do something.  For
example, to  turn on the CW spotting tone on the K2, you press and HOLD the
PRE/ATT button.   To turn on SPLIT, you press and hold the A=B button.  So
if you get you two VFO's set correctly and want to turn on SPLIT and happen
to not hold the SPLIT button long enough, you end up doing an A=B.  This is
an ergonomic joke.  These radios are just not in the same league and should
not be compared with each other.  And, I have a K2 and Orion side by side
here.  I can tell you if the preamp is turned off on the K2, it does not
have enough sensitivity.  The Orion can hear much weaker signals with the
preamp off on both radios.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC