Re: [TenTec] eHam charging for Subscription

To: tentec@contesting.com
From: tongaloa <tongaloa@alltel.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:38:15 -0500
Content is why 'consumers' subscribe to ISP's.

ISPs would benefit from a tiered pricing structure.

Business customers pay for guaranteed bandwidth.
Content providers(who don't charge) i.e. mailing lists,
hobby sites, etc. get the 'leftover' that the businesses
are not using. They are important to all ISPs because
they are the main reason people but internet service.

I have something like this running. I know the usage profile
of the ISPs business customers. My server is throttled to
'keep off their toes'. Right now, the throttling follows
an average usage profile with some 'headroom' built in.
This ISP is happy, his business customers are happy. I'm happy.

Real time monitoring/throttle adjustment is in the works
because I want more bandwidth and this will let us reduce
the 'headroom'.

We can do it, we just haven't taken the time to interface to
the ISPs accounting system.

-Bob