[TenTec] OT: Radios? Why are they Radios? (Was Radio debate)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] OT: Radios? Why are they Radios? (Was Radio debate)
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 03:09:48 +0000
I was QRT for around 18 years and became active again around 4 years ago. When I was active before, transmitters-receivers/transceivers were called rigs. When I came back they all had become "radios." I kind of went with it with some perplexity but I've decided to ask what happened because a guy wrote an article in CQ this month, telling his tale of being QRT for around 45 years and coming back, and he asked the same thing in his article. What's this "Radio" jazz all about? Where did that come from? A radio is this consumer electronics appliance folks use to swl, hear weather alerts, broadcast transmissions, police, fire etc. A T4 isn't a radio. Neither is a KWM2, or an Orion or anything else in a shack that delivers and receives RF. They're rigs. We're hams. We have rigs. We don't need no stinkin' radios. Next, the shack will be called the radio room.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ