[TenTec] Corsair II warble

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Corsair II warble
From: "Bob Towers" <mm3kdz@beeb.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:40:01 +0100
I installed the PTO rebuild kit some weeks ago and it has
substantially cured the warble. However there are still minor instabilities
(ie frequency wandering) on some of the bands. The frequency jumping has
been cured, by the way.

 I use PSK31 most of the time and I can see the stability of the PTO on the
waterfall display of MixW. In summary it's like this:

28Mhz I don't use, licence conditions prohibit!
24.920 some wandering, about +/- 10Hz
21.070 rock steady
18.100 some wandering, about +/- 10Hz
14.070 some wandering, about +/- 15Hz
10.142 rock steady
7.035 some wandering, about +/- 10Hz
3.580 some wandering, about +/- 10Hz

The worst offender is 14.070, to the point where some operators at the
other end of the QSOs comment on the instability. It also makes tuning of MFSK
signal rather difficult.

The odd thing is the fact that two of the bands are not affected. If I
switch from 21.040 to 14.070 - without touching the tuning knob - the
instability appears, which makes me wonder whether the PTO mechanism is the
culprit.

 I would appreciate any comments you might have.

 Many thanks,

Bob Towers
MM3KDZ