RE: [TenTec] Grounding

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Grounding
From: Pol <k7nhb@quickdata.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:12:33 -0700
Not to chime in with a "...me too..." but I figure if we get a critical mass of "...me too..." those doubting that "surges happen" will see the light. I live in Central Oregon and we do NOT get a lot of lightening storms. But occasionally one passes though....or something happened because one day my door bell quit working. I looked at it, after a friend said they had to knock 'cause the bell was a silent as the "p" in swimming. It looked as if one of two plungers was fused - because I couldn't associate causality, I wasn't sure what I was seeing. Then I noticed the electric garage door wasn't opening/closing as usual and a day or two later it started singing with the choir invisible.

My point is - my computer room and 7 piece stereo station were all on the same circuit - all surge protected - even if with the cheapest OfficeMax device. But they were all fine. I don't know what it was - there was no Notice from the Power Company that anything had happened. But it seems somehow a tsunami of a power surge visited the house and took out all the unprotected gear on that one line. Cost me $13 for a new door bell and around $63 for a new Garage Door Controller board.

73,

Paul