Re: [[TenTec] Bencher]

To: <ke7gi@ke7gi.com>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [[TenTec] Bencher]
From: Michael Goins <mgoins@usa.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:23:38 -0500
I have somewhere around 20 paddles (and 30 or so keys), including a Long
Island Mercury and some other fairly expensive paddles. I also have many of
the paddles preferred in the past (Brown Brothers, etc.).

I consistantly lean toward the Bencher single paddle as I am not an iambic
user and don't use the completion part of iambic keying. It can be set really
tight and requires very little effort to use. I use a Logikit CMOS keyer for
everything and sometimes use it and a TE-NE-KEY (which has surprising good
feel), or a homebrew sideswiper-type paddle.

It all depends on how you learn, on what, your own style (light or heavy
handed, etc.), and what you like style-wise. Try several before you decide
what you want. There is a lot of difference in feel, even between the major
bands (Vibroplex, Bencher, etc., and a lot of smaller paddle manufacturers out
there). What I like is not necessarily what you'd like. It's all a matter of
personal preference. Find one (or more) that YOU like.

72,
mike
K5WMG
HQRP MosQRPitos, FISTS #10403, QRP-L #2130, QRP-ARCI #3922 (former managing
editor, QRP Quarterly), TDXS #69, SOC #54, Flying Pigs #447, ARS #810, Alaska
QRP #514, Iowa QRP #163, QCWA #30857, RSGB #19119, originally licensed as
WB5YJX -One watt, all the time - SSB, CW, PSK, fixed or mobile