RE: [TenTec] skywave BPL interference

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] skywave BPL interference
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 17:41:33 -0400
Hi Pete --

   If you experienced this kind of racket, why not file an interference report?

   A systematic effort to identify skywave interference from BPL systems could
be helpful.  We know where some of these trial
systems are located, and what they generally sound like.  So let's see if we
can hear them... and report it when we do.

   At one point ARRL had an "ARRL Monitoring Service" that would receive
reports such as intruder reports, help gather a complete
set of data, and then report the problem to the FCC Enforcement Bureau,
Spectrum Enforcement Division.  I just did a search on the
ARRL web site for information about this service and couldn't find anything.

   A search of the FCC website failed to uncover an electronic way of
submitting interference reports.  Written reports may be sent
to:
 Federal Communications Commission
 Enforcement Bureau
 Spectrum Enforcement Division
 445 12th Street, SW
 Washington, DC 20554
There is an email address fccham@fcc.gov and a phone number (717) 338-2502, but
that seems oriented towards interference reports
between amateur stations.  However, a phone call might be worthwhile to verify
what to submit, how, and to whom.

   A report should contain information such as the following:
Particulars Concerning the Station Causing the Interference:
   A. Name or call sign.
   B. Frequency measured
   C. Class of emission
   D. Bandwidth
   E. Field strength
   F. Nature of interference
Particulars Concerning the Transmitting Station Interfered with:
   G. Name or call sign and category of station
   H. Frequency assigned
   I. Frequency measured
   J. Class of emission
   K. Bandwidth
   L. Field strength
Particulars Furnished by the Receiving Station Experiencing the Interference:
   M. Name of station
   N. Geographic location of station; telephone and email contact information.
   O. Dates and times of occurrence of harmful interference
Other particulars

   Recordings of interference are encouraged and should be submitted on a
standard cassette.

-- Eric K3NA