[TenTec] ARRL's BPL NPRM response is out

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] ARRL's BPL NPRM response is out
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 09:29:47 -0400
K4IA wrote:
>Why does ARRL and the FCC keep focusing on local interference? My town
probably won't ever have BPL but I sure as heck will be able to hear it from other
areas.

        Excellent point!  I have not read ARRL's document but am surprised
they would not mention this.  When I can hear a 20 uW signal on 160 from
275 miles away, and 100 mW on 10 meters from Europe, why would I not
expect to hear the accumulated noise of thousands of BPL sources from
a skip zone with propagation?  Seems to me like it would simply raise the
noise floor when that happened.  This might be worth mentioning as a Reply
Comment which is now possible even if you did not comment in the original
Comment period.

73, Bill W4ZV