Re: [TenTec] New $10K Yaesu HF

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New $10K Yaesu HF
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 21:56:56 -0400
To me, it will be interesting to see what the 'big gun' contesters do in
terms of updating their basic transceiver as these folks are primarily
performance thinking people. Performance counts over 'bells and whistles'.
(However Jim, if I still had my last IC- 781, I would never let it go!)

Between various personal 'challenges' I  have not yet been able to get up an
antenna system that allows me to become serious in contest competition
again, although it does look like I won the GAQP recently (but a QP is a
rather confined contest.). But I've had my Orion now almost a year and my
new Titan 3 since December and am looking forward to the WPX contest to
really wring out the performance of this combination, even with my
limitation of only having an 80m dipole at the moment. Both the Orion and
the Titan 3 have so far proven to be very solid performers and my impression
is they both will show up well in the WPX. (It would be extremely helpful, I
think, to have v1.37 before the contest, but the beta testing should
prevail)

It's also interesting, I think, that neither the 7800 or the Yaesu new rigs
have tweeked my interest in the least, and will not, until some REAL
specifications have been released on both of those rigs. Like >40dBm really
means nothing unless you know how it's tested. I used to think the ARRL test
reports were 'shaded' by the quantity of advertising done in QST by specific
manufacturers, however I now feel certain the ARRL testing will be FAIR and
ACCURATE when it's posted. But, to me, an Icom or a Yaesu would have to be
SUBSTANTIALLY better than an Orion for me to even consider purchasing a
$10-$13k radio.

I certainly agree with Jim that the new Icom and the new Yaesu will boost
the sales of the Orion.

Tom - W4BQF