RE: [TenTec] New $10K Yaesu HF

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] New $10K Yaesu HF
From: "Jim Dunbar" <jdunbar28@mchsi.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 15:21:24 -0500
Hello All,

I have an FT-1000D and it is a great radio and will probably keep it.

However, I also think that the ORION is a fabulous radio as well.

>From what I have been able to determine so far is that the ORION technology
performance rivals either the ICOM
7800 or this future Yaesu $10K to $13K radio.............

So, from a practical standpoint, and being a contester, I would have to say
that it is much more cost effective
in the long run to buy either one or two ORIONs or to buy a single ORION and
a TITAN III amplifier as opposed to an ICOM 7800 or Yaesu FT 9000 DX, as you
probably will not be able to see much difference in performance.

In fact, I think that the ICOM 7800s and new Yaesu rigs are going to
probably boost the sales of the TEN TEC ORIONS even more............I am
sure they will sell many ICOM 7800s and $10K Yaesu's to the hams with $$ to
burn, however, the amount of ORIONS sold in the future is going to increase
as well..........

Just some thoughts from a contester.

Thanks,

Jim