Re: [TenTec] Vertical Antennas (was Radials)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Vertical Antennas (was Radials)
From: "Stuart Rohre" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:40:48 -0500
Rick,
Yes, I am amazed, even when I point out the models done by L. B. Cebik,
W4RNL on horizontal loops, how many do not understand them, or read the
literature to find out they have other angles of take off, (some low) when
used on harmonic bands abover the one wavelength band.   And, that the gain
increases with no effort by the builder once he has the basic loop in place.
He can operate multiband with a good tuner, parallel feeder, and enjoy the
gain of a beam in ALL contest directions, with out the time, expense, and
mechanical/electrical complexity of a rotator.

The Ten Tec terminated Vee beam offers a similar advantage, and when left
unterminated; it can be a bidirectional antenna.   However, rotation is
possible using floating guy rings at the center feed end, and tent stake
like anchors for the terminated ends.  It just takes a couple of people to
move the antenna's favored direction to another quadrant of the compass,
very quickly in the field.
73,
Stuart
K5KVH