[TenTec] Where do the filters go

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Where do the filters go
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:55:10 -0400
N1EU wrote:
>I tend to agree with W4BQF on the 2.4Khz 10-pole Inrad
as being unnecessary.  However, the 1.8Khz filter
could be helpful if the rig is used for ssb
contesting.

        The 1.8 is also very useful as a wider roofing filter
when scanning CW with a bandwidth wider than the 600 Hz
and it has the same IMD performance as the 1000 Hz down
to 2 kHz spacings.  However, if you were a CW ONLY op,
and did not need the 1.8 for SSB, you could accomplish
the same result at no additional cost by simply moving
your 1.0 to the unoccupied 1.8 slot.

        In my opinion, if you are a CW ONLY op, the only
optional filter you would ever need is the Inrad 762.
If you are also an SSB op, I would definitely add the
1800 filter (either the TT 218 or Inrad 761).  I used
the TT 218 last October in the CQ WW SSB and would not
be without it.  If you are a casual operator...no serious
contesting, no heavy-duty low-band DX-ing, etc, you don't
really need ANY optional roofing filters.

73, Bill W4ZV