[TenTec] Where do the filters go

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Where do the filters go
From: Lee Crocker <w9oy@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:59:49 -0700 (PDT)
I wonder if part of the QSK problem is related to DSP
signal processing.  I used several outboard DSP
filters in the past such as the NIR-10, NIR-12, and
the 599zx and I found in order to run QSK with these
filters, I had to develope a little timing circuit
that kicked the filter out of the signal line
momentarily because of the lag in the signal
introduced by the DSP.  The NIR-12 was the worst and
the Timewave was the least as far as lag and artifacts
when transmitting but all of them had to be jiggered
to get the QSK to work properly.  I wonder if the
40wpm ceiling is related to the advent of DSP into the
signal line, or the way in particular it is introduced
into the Orion and the Omni VI+.

73 W9OY