Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec reflector

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec reflector
From: "Steve N4LQ" <n4lq@iglou.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:31:57 -0400
"At least with a software defined  radio you download newer software, not
purchase  a new radio and lose your shirt on the old one"

Now Skip I would think you would know better than this. The changes to the 756 were mostly hardware, not firmware. No amount of downloading would change the LCD from monochrome (756) to color (pro), nor would downloading replace a large portion of the RF chain with a DSP system (PRO) and even the changes from the PRO to the PROII were mostly hardware related. If Icom did anything wrong, it was to not change the model number and looks of the rig more to make people think they were getting something entirely new. I don't really understand why the Orion is considered a "Software Defined Radio" simply because changes can be made to the firmware. My car allows firmware changes to the computer. Is it a "software defined car"? I changed the firmware in my Omni 6+. Does that make it a software defined radio? Can the software make the Orion something other than a radio? Perhaps a toaster or vacuum cleaner? Now that might constitute "software defined". Obviously software does play a greater role in everything these days but at what point do we render the hardware inconsequential and elevate the software to the title of Definer? I don't think we are quiet there yet. Maybe the Flex Radio comes closer. www.flex-radio.com
So someday and probably not too far into the future, TenTec will make major hardware changes to the Orion so that the software my better define it. Watch for processor upgrades, LCD panel changes and memory enhancements. Then you'll have the equivalent of the PRO, PROII, PROII.
Steve N4LQ
----- Original Message ----- From: "skip" <k3cc@fast.net>