Re: [TenTec] Re: Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Orion
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:43:53 -0500
As with any substantial purchase, be it for amateur radio gear, a computer, audio system, or a car or house, you must first determine what the purchase is for and what it will accompish.

In my case, I was completely satisfied with my Omni-6+ at just about every level (I missed the s/w receiver function) and I wasn't seriously contemplating a change.

However, circumstances changed that allowed me to replace the Omni with an Orion. Otherwise I was in no rush to do it.

I am pleased with the performance of my Orion. Is it 'better' than the Omni? It's hard to say, although on paper and being significantly more modern in design it obviously is. It is far more flexible in what it can do, and as a (small-time) contester, it has a more selective receiver.

Working in the technology arena, to me the firmware issues as reported/argued here are way overblown. If the Microsoft operating systems on our respective computers froze or crashed as *few times as the people here report happening to their Orions, we'd all consider it to be a blessing. This is not to say I don't have user interface issues with the Orion. I just don't complain about it publicly. I've made my thoughts known to Ten Tec and they have graciously received them, which is the best anyone can ask for. Does Microsoft take the time to listen to and speak with you when you have troubles with their products?

In Jim Miller's scenario below, the issue appears to be whether a ssb-only, casual (i.e., non-contesting operator) will realize a significant enhancement in his ability to 'dig out the weak ones' ("I just want a great quiet receiver and if this is better than my Omni 6+") for the cost of replacing his well-liked Omni.

My answer is that for the incremental level of change WB5OXQ is expecting, he'd be better off keeping the Omni and investing his $$ in upgrades (INRAD filters/mods come to mind) and/or adding more/higher/bigger antennas.

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC