Re: [TenTec] IMD Measurements - Yaesu/Inrad vs Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] IMD Measurements - Yaesu/Inrad vs Orion
From: "Billy Cox" <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:42:50 -0600
Billy, the fundamental difference is that the FT-1000s have had this key click for nearly 15 years. The cure has been known for many years, and they haven't addressed this issue to this day! It's an attitude problem that unfortunately many Japanese companies have in all branches of the industry ("Father knows best").

And how is this any different from the Omni VI "micro-chirp" that W9AC and others worked with and around for years? Where do we draw the line?

One of the reason's I sold my Omni C ... was that (*&^% "pop"
AGC ... should I still be fussing about that to TenTec? No. That
was a 'problem' from day one ... with that design, at the time. To
me, and my hearing challenges, and my style of operating, there
were better alternative choices at the time.

There's the rub on "things" that only impact certain users or certain modes, and why we observe such a wide range of postings on this forum too ...

As to the JA ... it's not just those companies, the OEMs here are the same way in the automotive industry. Too often we find our engineers redoing work that in a perfect world, should have been caught sooner.

I don't think the Orion needs the 0.01 cap.

Excellent example ... yet for the 5 out of 100 users that adding the cap would PREVENT the issue from occuring ... should TT have done such? (Ditto as to asking "Should Yaesu have done this too on the CW keying issue).

(I'm using the 95% sales verses returned gear figure posted on here)

Indeed, I have a problem with a $10,000 Icom that still has only a 6 kHz roofing filter! That's ludicrous in my eyes - yet enough fools still buy them!

Agreed ... to miss-quote the old TV actor Mr. T ... after looking at the specs for the new Yaesu 9000 something ... "I pity the fool that tries to explain what/which model s/he actually owns ..." B-)

73 Billy AA4NU