Re: [TenTec] Why I like Ten Tec (long)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Why I like Ten Tec (long)
From: w4tje <w4tje@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 20:21:55 -0500
hello Joe W2KJ in NC, de Jack W4TJE in NC.
great story.
tnx for sharing it.
i purchased my Orion in Oct, 2003.
i'll spare the details, but to bottom line it for you, it is awesome. not good, not great, but awesome.
first tentec radio for me, and i could not be happier. obviously, it has exceeded my expectations.
it is more reliable than any radio that has yet graced my shack in 27 yrs on air, and it has restored my enthusiasm for ham radio again.
one thing it is not, it is not an appliance. i play, fiddle, and tinker with it. and it is fun.
no problems here that a cycle off/cycle on has not corrected.
in the year that i have had mine,
i have rediscovered the joy of cw, and have now made decent progress at learning cw in my head.
i have strung beverages across my property, and an inverted L for 160.
i have worked dx on 80m consistently on cw and phone.
i am now discovering the mysteries of 160m.
i have purchased a 238b tuner, and a second tentec amp, the centaur, and run both the centaur and the titan from the orion with no problems, ssb and cw.
in short, it has been fun.
is the orion the reason for this?
directly, obviously no. but it has enthused me to the point that i'm having so much fun that i am starting and completing new projects.
even my xyl now comes into the shack and plays on the computer while i'm in here. when i asked her recently why she now comes in here when she didn't before, she said it was because it sounded better on the new radio (orion) listening, than it did before.
maybe a new slogan for '05: "Ten Tec, recommended by jack's xyl".
as for the criticisms on this reflector regarding the orion and/or tentec service, all i can say is that i haven't experienced those problems. most of the criticisms are made by the same several guys over and over gain. i do not doubt what they say, regarding their experiences, all i can say is, it hasn't happened in my shack.
that's enough for now. sri to go on like this. i don't come onto the reflector every day to re-hash my views on my orion, because it doesn't make much sense to me. i am not a reflector troll. i'm a ham radio operator.
i couldn't care less whether other orion owners like their radios or not, other than the negative effect those comments may have on tentec. because i want tentec to fluorish, so they can keep making radio gear for me.
73 and ho ho ho de jack w4tje