Re: [TenTec] Contest Data and Conclusions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Contest Data and Conclusions
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:32:23 -0500
I really would like to respond to this, however, in the spirit of this Christmas time, I have no wish to further embarass anyone at Ten Tec. I will just tell you Bill, if my problem were unique, you can rest assured that by now this entire station would have been torn down and rebuilt in search of a solution. However, it was extremely difficult to do that in light of the fact that if I just removed the Orion, and replaced it with an Omni 6, an Omni 6 Plus, or an IC-781, the set up worked flawless, using, in most cases, the same interface cableing. Nevertheless, that possibility still exist, however slim. I bought my Orion and my Titan 3 with the full intention of enjoying another fabulous transceive design from Ten Tec and to keep it turned on and to operate it long and often during my retirement years. I did not put out almost eight thousand bucks just to sit on this reflector sending emails.

There is a lot more to this, in terms of my communication with Ten Tec that just should not be publically published.

As for the loaner unit, I doubt if anyone noticed it, but my emails to this reflector, stating the Orion/Titan 3 problem, effectively stopped during the time I had the loaner. You may read what you wish into that. I am not moving on as I intend to keep all of my other Ten Tec gear, and just continue to enjoy their comparative flawless operation.

Thanks you, as always, industurious input and helpful suggestions.

Tom - W4BQF

My question was:

"do all Orion - Titan 3's eshibit the problem you had?"

If yes, then there is a generic problem which **SHOULD** be
addressed by Ten-Tec.  If no, then there is something unique
to your application causing your unique problem.  If the latter,
I'm not sure it is Ten-Tec's problem to solve unique user
problems.  They should certainly try to help, as I'm
sure they have (i.e. your loaner unit), but being in
business to make a profit, I doubt they can hand-hold
every unique problem that comes their way.  Do you think
one of the 3 majors would have sent you a loaner to test?
I frankly doubt it.  It seems to me Ten-Tec has gone out
of their way to help you resolve your problem.  Having
failed, I think you did the right thing to move on, but
don't now blame Ten-Tec because they couldn't solve your
unique problem.

        Merry Christmas to you and your family, everyone on
the reflector and to everyone at Ten-Tec!

73, Bill W4ZV