[TenTec] Orion Threshold and RF Gain Settings

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Threshold and RF Gain Settings
From: Lee Crocker <w9oy@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:03:36 -0800 (PST)
No need to get defensive.

As I understand it the "AGC threshold" value actually
sets the control range of the DSP's gain.  This I
would presume have an effect on the DSP's dynamic
range under various signal input conditions.  The way
the rf gain works in this firmware version as I
understand it, is to first reduce the gain in the DSP
stage to the threshold level and once the threshold
level is reached, the RF amp gain starts to be
reduced.

This should give increased effective control of
dynamic range for the system for various band
conditions.  If you set the "AGC threshold" to 1mv or
less this effectively limits your ability to control
the the overall dynamic range of the system.  It
basically turns your super duper Orion into a
Hallicrafters S-40B.  Now I love old Bill Halligan and
I loved my S-40B but I ain't willin to pay 3000 bux
for that kind of performance.  The way the old version
worked is basically the same but the AGC threshold was
just set to some constant in the menu screen and did
not have a variability as it does now under the new
version of the RF gain control.

Maybe I don't have a clue here, after all I am just an
old geezer, but this is how I understand the thing now
works.

Comments?

73  W9OY