RE: [TenTec] Jupiter

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Jupiter
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 07:11:22 -0800
Maybe I'm different, but this ham wants a darn good radio for the price he
pays.  In Jupiter it's bangs for the bucks and in Orion its bangs.  I want
to be able to hear better than all others who don't have the same radio and
I want to be able to work what I hear (assuming my antennas are up to
snuff).  I have 4 computers in my shack to use for my other hobby.

Reading your comments, I think most of you are dreaming right now, which is
allowed of course.  But your dreams may be misleading people new to this
reflector.

If SDR will help TT or any vendor get me a great radio, then I want it'
especially if it reduces the price or time to market.  I enjoy N4PY's
software as much as the next guy, but my contest radio doesn't have to have
it.  It's a nice to have (for that radio).

Hey, the more features you dreamers get added to my radio, the larger the
chance of failure, the longer the time to market for updates, and the higher
the price, etc.  Just take a look at Linux vs. Windows.  Msft. has made
Windows so feature-big and bulky that many people are now turning away from
it.

A passer-by reading this recent thread would probably get the impression
that Ten-Tec builds bad radios.  It does not.  But that's the impression
this thread leaves on the reader.

To be honest, I could not or would not be able to afford the IC-7800 or the
FT-9000.  I have an Orion.  Thanks Ten-Tec for that.

Now I agree with most of the [software] criticism that I've read but let's
keep it in perspective.  Do those of you who have potentially scared people
away from buying an Orion or Jupiter due to your software criticism believe
you have done the guy a favor?  I believe you've done him/her an injustice.

It's great to continue the critique and help give TT direction (and keep
them on their toes), but let's also recognize what they done for us.

"My" software message to Ten-Tec would be to put focus on bug fixes ahead of
adding new features.  I think even Tom(my)will agree with me on this one!

73
Rick