Re: [TenTec] Pegasus/Jupe Band Scope Questn

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Pegasus/Jupe Band Scope Questn
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:44:48 -0800 (PST)
--- Steve N4LQ <n4lq@iglou.com> wrote:

> Does the bandwidth of the dsp affect the definition of the
> peaks on the scope?

Yes I'm sure that's true. If need be the filtering could be
rather broad in the interest of maintaining high speed
sweeping.

> If so, wouldn't you need to do some demodulating?

I wouldn't say demodulating as much as simply taking the 16
bit A to D values for each tuning step of the sweep as it
sweeps across the defined range and then translate them into
8 bit values. Report those values back to the control program
just like the current S-Meter does (using a 0-255 range). I'm
sure that 256 steps of amplitude resolution is enough for
what we need or want from the sweep display in a radio.

Also there really wouldn't be a need to programatically
inject the BFO signal either. Could probably dispense with
the 1 Hz tunning steps that is DSP derived as well. Since the
first LO tunes in 2.5 Khz steps a software step size one
tenth that (250Hz) for sweeping purposes I would think could
cover just about all sweep display needs handily. With those
kinds of "sweep mode specific" DSP changes I suspect that
synthesizer lockup time would then be the next performance
limit that would be hit.

Duane
N9DG