Re: [TenTec] An O2 request

To: gsm@mendelson.com,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] An O2 request
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:39:58 -0400
I think USB is problematic for ham gear unless it is limited to a
strict serial port emulation.  That's because anything else probably
requires special I/O drivers to be loaded in your computer.  The
software then rapidly becomes Windows-specific, which is bad for us
Linux and Mac users.

I use a 4-port USA49WLC USB to serial device from Keyspan to
communicate with all my ham gear.  It comes out at ~ $35 per port.
The neat thing is that I can then talk to all my gear over one USB
cable, simplifying the wiring layout.  And it works with Linux, too.

I agree that Ethernet is appealing.  You'd have to add menu selections
for IP addressing, etc.  Any new communication channel is going to
require a fair amount of engineering to make it work .  I'd be
surprised to see it in the O II.

73 Martin AA6E

martin.ewing@gmail.com
http://blog.aa6e.net