Re: [TenTec] An(other) O2 request

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] An(other) O2 request
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@mendelson.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:13:14 +0300
On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 03:04:34PM -0400, Carl Moreschi wrote:
> Making a new radio such as the Orion II not have an rs232 port but instead
> have an ethernet or USB port would make the radio incompatible with most of
> the logging software currently available.  All the current logging software
> available uses an rs232 serial port to communicate with the radio.

That's a "chicken and egg problem". All current software uses RS-232 ports
because  all current radios use RS-232 ports. What happens when you can
no longer get a computer with RS-232 ports?

AFIK Ten-Tec is the only major company that uses RS-232 ports on their HF
radios. ICOM, Kenwood and Yaseu never did, their serial ports are TTL.
They and aftermarket companies sell RS-232 to TTL converters.

ICOM uses a TTL bus arrangment that supports up to four radios.

Besides radios, are there any currently made devices that use them?

I was in a computer store and an Office Depot today. The only RS-232
compatible devices they had were PS/2 mice. PS/2 mouse ports are
sort of RS-232 compatible, but not 100%.

73,

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (077)-424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838