Re: [TenTec] INRAD ROOFING FILTER & AUDIO MOD FOR OMNI VI

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] INRAD ROOFING FILTER & AUDIO MOD FOR OMNI VI
From: Tommy <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 07:19:56 -0400
Bill,

I have two Omni 6 Plus rigs and have the Inrad 600 hz roofing filter
in both rigs. While I have not made any actual measurements, to my
ears the improvement is excellent. For example, living in south
Georgia, the QRN is pretty murderous. If the QRN level is, say, 20 dB
over, when I turn on the roofing filter, the QRN level drops to S-5
to S-8, and that is without dropping the signal strength at all. I
can not notice any insertion loss when enabling the filter. I used
one of the rigs in the IARU contest and purposely looked for a couple
of weak signals to copy, with a very strong signal within 1 kc...and
this worked excellent with the roofing filter.

I have my roofing filters set up a little different from the Inrad
instructions. The Inrad instructions allow you to turn the roofing
filter ON or OFF by using the N-1 or N-2 filter selection buttons on
the 6+. Since all that is needed to switch the filter in or out is
positive voltage, I choose to use the PROCessor button on the front
panel to do the switching. This way, you only have to run a single
wire. The Inrad method requires cutting wires, splicing, etc., but
their method probably works fine.

73,

Tommy - W4BQF