Re: [TenTec] Paragon Question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon Question
From: "Vic Klein" <vhklein@ptd.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 19:14:38 -0400
Right, Carl. Based on off-list comments I may not have been as clear as I
could have been before. The use of a Giehl chip changes the front panel user
interface on the Paragon to be essentially the same as a Paragon II, but the
serial command set is basically the same as the original Paragon, adding
only an acknowledge response to take care of timing issues with faster
computers and requiring an "enter" before sending digits for a direct
frequency load.

All that being said, to the original question about which rig to keep if you
have both, I think the Paragon II is an obvious choice. On the other hand,
if you are deciding between a used Paragon or Paragon II, the original 585
Paragon is a real value and a joy to use and sells for hundreds less. I
appreciate mine daily!

=Vic=
WA4THR
I contracted with TenTec in 1994 and did the firmware for the Paragon II.
The Paragon II design point was to make the user interface as close to the
Omni VI as possible.  The Paragon II uses the same serial command set as the
Omni VI which is the Icom CI-V interface.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC