[TenTec] Openwire fed differently

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Openwire fed differently
From: Lee A Crocker <lee_crocker@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:58:02 -0700 (PDT)
I have run open wire in multiple configurations from
parallel #10's with 6" seperation to parallel #26 with
3/4 spacing.  I have tried it twisted and tried it not
twisted.  The balance meausred with various RF current
meters was always within 10% and basically within the
error of the meter.

I never ran it down a tower like you do.  Since you
don't describe your experience with the line near the
tower without twists it would be interesting to run
the experiment:

next to tower twisted.
next to tower untwisted.
moving away from the tower at a diagnal twisted &
untwisted
hanging in the open twisted and untwisted.

My experience has basically been on 160, 80 and 40 and
with a broadcast band transmitter down around 1 mhz.
The broadcast transmitter fed the openwire through a
link coupled tuner and termininated in a link coupled
tuner that fed a 300ft tall vertical.  (it was another
engineer's design, I just got to work on it)  I have
used openwire on the higher bands with good effect,
but I have not measured the balance in the line above
40M.

Back in the 70's I ran some on 2M using a home brew
link coupled tuner.  The 2M run was about 50ft and
connected to a beam that was designed around a double
extended zepp driven element.  My longest run of
openwire was about 500ft on the BC band, but usually
my runs are less than 200ft, so I can't speak to its
behavior out to thousands of feet (multiple
wavelengths).  My experience is that the "need" for
twisting is overblown in runs less than a couple of
wavelengths.  Neither did the untwisted open wire
effect the pattern of the 2 meter beam with its
directely fed double extended zepp driven element.
That antenna was measured on an antenna range and had
18db forward gain, 25 db front to back and a nearly
perfect pattern.  If the feedline was radiating it
would have screwed up the pattern something fierce.

That's my experience take it for what it's worth.

73  W9OY