Re: [TenTec] OT Something to think about as we start the New Year:

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT Something to think about as we start the New Year:
From: "Gary Jacek" <Gary.Jacek@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 10:09:46 -0800
Fled?  Who fled?

We're still running those "big, old" IBM "mainframes".

The processor is now much smaller than your household fridge, black and
built on CMOS
just like your PC.  And it's air cooled, just like the legions of Sun
servers and the
armies of administrators that manage -that- platform.

The disk storage is on arrays of small drives, just like the ones in your
PC.
Our entire mainframe disk array would fit several times over in my 8 by 10
foot shack,
with room to spare for an Argo V or two.

And we also run a herd of LINUX on the back 40, in our "big, old" IBM
mainframe.

So, when you walk up to an ATM to get some cash, or pay for your  next
TenTec
purchase with a credit card, don't forget that you just used a mainframe.

Tracking your next TenTec toy to your door on the FEDEX web site?  Yep,
another mainframe!

Mainframes are still out there.  You just don't notice them because they
(still) work so well!

73
Gary