[TenTec] Zero beating (was O2 vs. Orion)

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Zero beating (was O2 vs. Orion)
From: "Darwin, Keith" <Keith.Darwin@goodrich.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 12:55:56 -0500
Yes, matching two tones can get you within a few Hz or less if you're
careful.  For years that was the way folks tuned guitars and other
instruments.  Strike the same note on two strings and tune one to
eliminate the beat frequency and you're there.

I don't have any problems with zero beating.  I shift the passband so I
can hear the low tones and then tune for zero (works best under
headphones).  I may be 50 Hz away but if it is just you and me working
each other, 50 Hz difference in transmit frequency is nothing.  Even 100
Hz is not an issue and that can be detected with zero beating.  Recall
the passband of the receiving station is likely 300 Hz or more wide.

- Keith -