Re: [TenTec] What makes 238 etc. good?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] What makes 238 etc. good?
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:37:49 +0000
I bought a 238A 2 or 3 years ago for $450. Now they are almost $600.

The costs of decent manufactured Z matching networks are unbelievable to me. The XMatch someone mentioned is over $1000! Some of the Palstars are over $1K too I think. This all makes the $450 I spent seem down in the MFJ range, but for a better product.

One of the common complaints about the 238 is the meter. I have found the wattmeter surprisingly accurate and do not really have a problem with it. If you look inside the 238 you will see a somewhat unremarkable roller inductor and air variable capacitor. One of the rotary switches switches in fixed disk ceramic caps. While I wish the components had been a little higher quality, I must say I have never had an arc and I have always found at most a 1.3:1 match. There's more to a tuner than the L and C. You have the cabinet, the knobs and reduction drive, rotary switches, circuit cards, meter, fixed components, rear panel connectors all getting the cost up. The one thing I wish TT had done with the 238 is put the extra 1000 pF cap for 160 m. on a toggle switch to make it easier to switch it in and out. I taped mine on a plastic card and soldered the leads to a lug and alligator clip to make it easy to add it or remove it on the back without wearing out and breaking the component leads, although there was nothing to stop me from drilling a hole and adding a switch. Maybe someday.

Generally I think the L networks are great. All I have ever used. The ARRL QST review of tuners a few years ago showed the superiority of the L design in my opinion. I recall the 238 had the widest range and best efficiency of all the ones reviewed. I'm glad Ten Tec makes an L tuner that isn't $1000 (but it may get there in a few years).

I think the best matching network you can have is the one you designed and built yourself because it is (or should be) made exactly to your needs and is therefore probably the best bargain for you.

rob / k5uj