Re: [TenTec] Orion II AT tuner question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II AT tuner question
From: "Carl Moreschi" <n4py@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:56:41 -0500
Grant,

You are correct about what you say.  But common sense would say that if they
didn't want the tuner in the receive path, they would have just put the
tuner in series with the transmit low pass filters.  This would have saved a
relay.  I don't have the internal tuner to prove it one way or the other but
the following quote from Duane indicates the tuner in definitely in the
receive circuit.

  "I've discovered this several times when I forget I'm in "split" mode and
  VFO-B is on another band.  After tuning, my RX is very attenuated!  Oops!
   So, it has helped me find a problem before I QRM'ed another band with my
  calls.  BTW, for the other responder, on the Orion, you must explicitly
   initiate a "Tune" cycle.  Merely transmitting does not do it for you."

So an easy test is to tune the tuner on a band such as 10 meters, and then
listen on another band without tuning.  After determining relative strength
of some signals, then tune the tuner and see if things pick up.

73,

Carl Moreschi N4PY
121 Little Bell Drive
Bell Mountain