Re: [TenTec] Being a Contrarian...."

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Being a Contrarian...."
From: Tommy <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 22:50:21 -0400
I personally don't think your "useless contribution" is useless.

Maybe some of the 'Monday morning quarterbacks' inputs on 'this is
the way TT should do it' is useless however. Regardless of who or
what 'team' designed the Orion, in my opinion, they certainly did a
top-notch job with the electronics design and the mechanical design.
As has been already mentioned, no one is capable of putting every
knob in the 'correct' place that everybody thinks it should be.

I wasn't aware that there was mythology present that eluded to the
fact that the Orion died when D. Smith departed TT. I do think it was
quite unrealistic to turn around and dump the firmware problems, in
total, on the director of engineering. Having been one myself, I am
sure Mr. Barber has many less hairs now than he had three years ago.
I think it's a great credit to Gary's intestinal fortitude that he
stuck it out and gave it his best shot. Yes, I've heard that all TT
employees wear 'many hats', but my gosh, what a load to dump on one
guy! The results have been obvious. If any 'finger-pointing' had to
be done, it had to be pointed, not at any TT employees, but right to
the top. Offers of assistance with the firmware was made by 'several'
retired and well respected software engineers/managers, which were rejected.

Having said the above, I have to clarify that it was said out of
intuition, as I have no clue to the 'inside working details' of how
TT is managed.

Most all of the Orion threads are absurd. The most ridiculous post
are the one's such as "My buddy's Orion works flawless, so the rest
of you guys must be nerds" , but at least it provides some touch of humor?

Tom - W4BQF