Re: [TenTec] Orion II - Tech Topics

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II - Tech Topics
From: Sinisa Hristov <shristov@ptt.yu>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 03:04:20 -0400
Bill Tippett wrote:

>         Two topics already covered are regarding
> Tuner Memories and Frequency Stability.

I do love my Orion deeply and truly, but nevertheless I find
the persistence of the "Frequency Stability" hoax unbelievable.

It appears now in three places: on the Orion II page,
in the manual and on this new "Tech Topics" page.

Gentlemen who design such a fine radios should not indulge
themselves in propagating such a nonsense. The truth is very simple:
Orion's (be it Classic or II) frequency stability does NOT
depend at all on the "mixing architecture".

Stated generally, with all LOs locked to the same reference,
ANY mixing architecture is equivalent to a single stage mixing
with an equivalent LO frequency, and the output frequency drift
is equal to the drift of that equivalent LO.

The change of the mixing scheme in Orion II may have some
virtues, but the stability improvement is NOT one of them.

73,

Sinisa  YT1NT, VE3EA