Re: [TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@tx.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:32:16 -0600
> And FWIW, my AGC threshold hasn't moved from 1uV since
> running any firmware after v1.372

Actually, in the later releases the AGC Treshold is tied to RF Gain, so when
you reduce RF Gain you also change THRESHOLD, regardless of what the menu
says.  You just can't see what it has been changed to.

What I'd really like to understand is why THRESHOLD was put there as a
separate control to begin with.  It was likely not just some frivolous
exercise or a burning need to confuse the operator.  And now that it is
linked to RF Gain, other than making life easy(?), what are the pluses and
minuses of having THRESHOLD separate from or linked to RF Gain?

Grant/NQ5T