Re: [TenTec] [Fwd: FCC ELIMINATES CW EXAM]

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [Fwd: FCC ELIMINATES CW EXAM]
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:16:20 -0600
On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 15:43 -0600, Stuart Rohre wrote:
> The international community that regulates radio said in 2003, that Morse
> Testing should be optional, the decision to do it, left up to individual
> countries.  All that have ruled since have dropped it.  The maritime
> community have dropped compulsory CW watches on 500 kHz.  Technology marches
> on.  CW is just one mode among many ham radio can freely use.
>
> I like the analogy to the slide rule.  You can do the math with a slide rule
> or a calculator.  You don't have to know how to use a slide rule to get the
> right math answers.  (in fact, with a calculator, you probably will get a
> correct answer more of the time).
>
> Stuart
> K5KVH

But without basic math understanding the errors of the calculator (fat
finger entries or wrong operation) may be missed. And so without
understanding what the approximate answer should be the calculator can
lead one astray. Ask NASA about landing a Mars probe in m/s when they
computed in mph...

73, Jerry, K0CQ