Re: [TenTec] Is the Orion Noisy?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Is the Orion Noisy?
From: "Toby Pennington" <toby423@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:46:00 -0500
It is perhaps unfair to compare two rigs with such a price differential.
You would expect the Icom 7800 to do some things better than the Orion.

I have owned both and enjoyed both rigs very much. However,  with the 7800
you really have a pretty much "finished" DSP code which seems flawless in
its operation.  Whereas in the  Orion series the DSP code continues to need
work.

The 7800 has weaknesses such as the RFI headphone issue on 20 meter
cw...seems to be a design flaw in the independent headphone circuit,  also a
little bit of "grass" showing on the spectrum display,  but overall a very
nice operating rig with a lot of extras.

What may NOT be known is that 7800 is a wonderful CW rig,  and seems to be
as good as the Orion.  AS an aside,  the Icom Pro 3 is not in the same
league as the Orion and the 7800 when it comes to CW operation.

Toby  W4CAK