Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 48, Issue 40

To: "Carl Moreschi" <n4py@arrl.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>,<gsm@mendelson.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 48, Issue 40
From: "JAMES HANLON" <knjhanlon@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 16:18:30 -0700
Carl wrote:
  (The Army's) conclusion was that everyone could learn morse code to 25 wpm.

  And Geoff wrote before that: If you think that morse code is easy to learn,
try teaching it to a
  > learning disabled person.

  I was an active VE for a long time and I regularly gave the code tests.  In
most cases people could pick up 5 wpm code in only a little time.  I remember
one college-age young man and woman who had taught themselves the code at 5 wpm
in about ten days of practice together.  But I also remember one fellow who was
probably learning disabled who I know studied code like mad for months at a
time.  He had memorized his code tapes, but he could not begin to copy my 5 wpm
test.  I hope that he got a codeless Tech when they became available, and I
hope that he upgrades now.

  Jim, W8KGI

  ps:  One unhappy fact about Amateur Radio is that the average age of
licensees is much higher today than it was when we old-timers got into the
hobby, in my case as a Novice in 1952.  Just go to any swapfest or hamfest and
try to find the youngsters - they are very few and far between and well hidden
amongst the gray and the balding.  If Amateur Radio is going to continue into
the future, it will have to find some way of attracting a new group of
technically-oriented young people into it ranks.  Hopefully, dropping the code
as a requirement will remove one impediment to that process.

  Jim