Re: [TenTec] AM Receiver distortion in Orion II

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] AM Receiver distortion in Orion II
From: Martin AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 16:12:06 -0500
It is true that the number of A/D bits is not always the critical
number.  High-end audio gear sometimes uses 1-bit D/A coverters, for
example, clocked at a very high rate.  That avoids the nonlinearity due
to uneven bit weighting that can be a problem with multi-bit D/As.  IIUC
(if I understand correctly).

In any case, having enough bits in and out does not prevent problems due
to bad algorithms (codecs, AGC, etc.) that may allow overflows,
clipping, or loss of significant digits in internal calculations.

73 Martin AA6E