Re: [TenTec] AM Receiver distortion in Orion II

To: Ron Castro <ronc@sonic.net>,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] AM Receiver distortion in Orion II
From: "James C. Owen, III" <k4cgy_list@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:11:25 -0800 (PST)
Hi Ron,
   I hear a difference but I wouldn't classify it as distortion
or muddy. What it sounds like to me is the Orion II has much more
bass boost than the TS-870 or the TS-870 has bass cut or boosted
Treble. How did you record this? Did you take if directly from
the speaker? or did you use the line output? The TT speaker I
think has much more bass than most of the other speakers. In fact
when I first put the TT speaker on my Jupiter I almost took it
out of line and put the old Motorola mobile speaker I was using
back on. The mobile speaker allowed many more highs to pass or
cut the low's or both. But after using the TT speaker a few days
I realized that it gave much better reception as far as reduced
interference from nearby stations and even the NR worked better.
However if I was going to use it a lot on broadcast I would go
back to the speaker with the greater highs.

73 Jim K4CGY