Re: [TenTec] emergency back up power

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] emergency back up power
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 19:44:25 -0500
Here is one possible answer.  There are dozens of others.

I wanted considerable run time, including a couple lights and stuff.  I do
NOT operate it portable.

So - I have 3 deep discharge batteries of the type used for solar energy
systems wired in parallel.  They operate at 12 volts and can be repeatedly
deeply discharged.  I can draw a lot of power from them.

I hook them to a highly efficient, true sine wave inverter, again of the
solar power system type, to produce regular 115 VAC.  Then I just plug in
the radios, lamps, and whatever, into the outlets I've provided.

This approach is not cheap.  But it can deliver almost unlimited power
(depending on your budget for buying batteries and stuff) and you can plug
anything you want into it.

I trickle charge it all the time with a battery charger, so the power grid
keeps it charged for me and it is always fully charged and ready to go when
I need it.

73 de Gary, AA2IZ