Re: [TenTec] emergency back up power

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] emergency back up power
From: Mike Bryce <prosolar@sssnet.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 11:25:20 -0500
Since we're talking about emergency power, that's something I've been
involved with for over 30 years

my system consists of 2.8kwp solar panels with a nominal system
voltage of 48vdc.

that dc power goes through several conditioning circuits and then to
a charge controller that feeds 3200 amp/hrs worth of trojan L16HC
lead acid batteries

The batteries supply power to the Trace 4850 sine wave inverter that
powers most of the house and the ham shack.

to back up the back up systems

4--120 watt astro power modules at a nominal 12 volts system buss
feed 6 trojan J250 lead acid batteries through one of my charge
controllers. This battery bank runs the shack's emergency lighting
systems and some of the 12 volt direct power rigs. I especially like
running the trition IV (analog) because of its diet like energy draw

to back up the second backup system

This is the systems I am currently working on. It will be an
automatic switch over from station power to battery power. Low
voltage disconnects will protect the battery bank. When switching
back to the grid, a delay will prevent hot switching of the power
systems. Got a few of the prototype pcbs made and working on the
balance of systems components now.

the battery bank will consists of honest-to-god gel cells from east
penn. these are NOT the agm batteries that are also known as gel
cells.  I am figuring on about 500 amp/hr worth of storage.

all battery amp hour figures are based on a 50% discharge to LVD. All
voltages stated are nominal dc at system buss. Current for solar
panels rated at 1 sun at standard test conditions.

Bottom line? Only the rich can afford cheap batteries. Get the most
bang for the buck. WHile the AGM batteries are sealed, don't overlook
the lead acid wet cells.

There's photos and systems diagrams in the arrl book, "Emergency
power for radio communications" of my system.

Mike, WB8VGE
SunLight Energy Systems
The Heathkit Shop
http://www.theheathkitshop.com/
J e e p
o|||||||o
Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a
large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced