Re: [TenTec] Remote rig operations

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Remote rig operations
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:40:17 -0400
I too have some interesting uses for remote control of my radios and stuff.

I'm lucky enough to live and work from home waaaaayyyy out in the country.
So I can and do have towers and stuff.  Some years ago I built a small
building for my business, and when that was no longer big enough I built a
larger building for the business and moved the shack out of the house and
into the smaller building.

This made the shack much larger than it was and really nice.

But it is in a separate building, and you have to go outside to get there.
Sometimes its a blizzard or rain.  Sometimes I'd like to listen or operate
at 4 am.  These are times when it would be nice to just stay in the house
and operate the shack from there.  Most of the time I would not do that, but
I would love to be able to.

Then there is the new business building.  Its 400 feet away from the shack,
and pretty much filled with equipment.  Yet, if I had remote control of the
shack, I could use one of the many networked business computers there to at
least listen to the Ham radio while I work.  I could even do SWL listening
when appropriate.

So, while I love my linear and towers and radios and all that, and would
mostly operate from my heated and air conditioned shack, I'd love to be able
to have ethernet access in the house and in the shop to access that same
gear some of the time.

73 de Gary, AA2IZ