Re: [TenTec] Gauge of wire from power supply question?

To: <geraldj@storm.weather.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Gauge of wire from power supply question?
From: "Stuart Rohre" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 19:14:42 -0500
Jerry makes a good point.  The AC ampacity of wires is not solely sufficient
for  DC, and is imperfect at longer lengths for AC drops.  Consider the
voltage is rising and falling at the frequency of  the AC potential, while
the DC is heating the wire continuously while in use.

I have noticed Kenwood is more generous with their size of cables than some
manufacturers.  Most hams probably at some point have to custom make their
cables for mobile or home applications, so I simply am advocating a
conservative cable sizing for ham transceivers.

-Stuart
K5KVH