Re: [TenTec] Gauge of wire from power supply question?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Gauge of wire from power supply question?
From: Ralph Matheny <mathenyr@marietta.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 20:38:22 -0400 (EDT)
  couple related issues--I don't think it's just the gauge of the wire
that is a factor.  As I remember it, for copper to be a really good
conductor it must be very pure--I'm thinking 99.9% plus.  Beyond that,
resistance builds up quickly.  Thus, the house wire which you buy at the
home depot or whatever, which was designed to be pulled thru pipe, etc,
and to carry only a few amps of AC under normal conditions (and blow the
breaker under abnormal) may not be a good choice for 13.8V DC power
wiring.  A look and feel at home house wire in comparison to good DC cable
will quickly tell one that the two are not the same.  I think (but I don't
know) that house wire contains some steel to make it have physical
strength.  The steel (or whatever) whould reduce the conductivity a bunch.
The speaker wire the kids use for the high-power audio systems has
worked well for me.  It is flexible, solders very well, and costs a bunch.

In my opinion--replacing the power connector on the back of a TT radio
with the same type/size isn't a good idea.  There have been too many
reports here of power connector problems.  I'd suggest a neat pigtail with
an Anderson Powerpole or the like as a big improvement of any TT radio.
Another solution, on those which have the 4-pin power plug, is to use all
4 pins for the DC, 2 for the + and 2 for the minus.  Even Yaseu does that
on their little mobile rigs.

I have my Omni V on the bench for repairs--and measured the drop from the
DC line an inch from the power connector to the rig end of the DC fuse.
Drop, with rig drawing 20 amps, is .35 volts.  That's big. Lots of heat
across the connector, the fuse, and the fuse holder.

My two cents worth.  back to the bench!!

Ralph Matheny
K8RYU
207 Gibbons Place
Marietta Ohio  45750