[TenTec] Ten-Tec and Firmware Development

To: Ten-Tec Reflector <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten-Tec and Firmware Development
From: Rick Williams <ve7asr@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:18:16 -0800 (PST)
Well I think we need to ask Ten-Tec for some feedback
and/or guidance.  As I mentioned in an earlier posting
the Orion firmware, in my opinion (.. and perhaps many
others), needs some work.

What we know:

1) With the release of the Orion a group of Beta
testers, made up of knowledgeable users, helped
develop the Version 1 firmware. The Beta testers group
has been inactive since the release of Version 2
firmware.
2) There were some stability problems with the Version
1 firmware and a major stumbling block was the SWEEP
function.
3) With the development of Version 2 firmware the
SWEEP issue was resolved but several other features
were lost or, at least as I see it, seemed degraded
(e.g. AM bug, notch/AGC relationship and Noise
Reduction algorithms).
4) Many Orion 565 users have returned to the
incomplete Version 1.37x firmware. (This option is not
available to Orion II users.)
5) Version 2 bugs that had a major impact on operating
were quickly fixed by T-T (e.g. Eight day turn-around
to fix the 2.061f to 2.062a bug).
6) We have seen no development of the Orion firmware
in the last 10 months EVEN to repair known minor bugs
(e.g. AM problem).
7) We have seen an excellent rapport develop between
Omni VII users and the Ten-Tec firmware development
team.
8) Ten-Tec has indicated that development resources
are scarce and other programs have priority since they
pay the bills.

Here are some thoughts as to what Orion users and
Ten-Tec might do cooperatively to move the Orion's
firmware development to the next level?

1) Re-establish a team of users as a Beta testing
team.
2) Since most of the Omni VII firmware issues have
been very successfully resolved, Ten-Tec might wish to
consider re-directing the Omni VII firmware
development resources to Orion firmware development.

I think ALL Orion users are very proud of the Ten-Tec
Orion and, without a doubt, it is a superb rig.  In
addition, messages on this reflector continue to extol
the benefits of Ten-Tec service.  However, I feel the
Orion, with it's current firmware, has failed to reach
its potential.

For a long time the current firmware, with it's
"warts" kept the Orion at the top of the Sherwood
receiver test list.  Perhaps now that the Orion has
been replaced on that list it is time for Ten-Tec to
get back to their base - the Orion users.  I hope that
Ten-Tec will consider taking a more active role and
help move the Orion firmware to where it belongs.

73,
Rick
VE7TK