Re: [TenTec] Twinlead and Balanced Tuners

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Twinlead and Balanced Tuners
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:55:12 -0500
I fully agree with Jim on these points.  Resonant antennas for each
band/frequency are the way to go.  An the coaxial choke balun properly
constructed and installed very close to the feedpoint is and excellent
performer.  It handles lots of power without problems and is inexpensive to
built.  Ugly however.

Other than the above, everything else is considered a compromise.  Of course
if you only have room and supports for one wire antenna, a balanced fed
system with a 238 works and will allow you to migrate to all bands.  As to
antenna length, all you can get up works.  Feedline length, that length
necessary to go between the feed point and the tuner works.   Don't worry
about the feet and inches.   Just let the tuner deal with the Xc and Xl and
j  components of the antenna system.

My favorite antenna is the old fashion folded dipole about 1/4 wave above
ground, made of open wire line and fed with open wire line and terminated
into a good 4:1 balun.

73
Bob, K4TAX